Ceramic tiles are an affordable, versatile and quite the attractive addition to your home décor. Although many come in set colors, it is possible to redesign them if you want to add a bit of a personal touch to your home. The option of replacing your tiles altogether is just not practical for many people, and decorating tiles yourself is not only cheaper, but fun to do. Here are a few tips to help you if you are looking to decorate your ceramic tiles at home.
1. First things first, understand that decorating your tiles is not a task that necessarily requires turning to professional help – and you can do it alone with the right materials. Take care to clean your tiles and degrease them with the appropriate products before you get started.
2. Keep the tiles as clean as possible and take good care not to touch them as they will get oily. Alcohol works well to remove grease, oil, and dirt in general. Once you have cleaned your tiles, you can pick out the tiles you wish to work with and set them out clearly to your choice of design. This is important as you might not want to paint every tile and could choose to work in various patterns, as opposed to monotone looks.
3. You will need the following tools to help you out:
Sponge, some household cleaner, paint (enamel air-dry and acrylic), ceramic tiles, brushes, glaze (enamel), polyurethane or water based varnish, stencils, plate (disposable).
4. If you are new to decorating, then it is best that you practice on some paper (plain) to test out your skills prior to commencing. You can always rely on stencils to help you out. The disposable plate will act as your palette where you can sample different colored paints before you decorate the tiles.
5. You can then decorate your tiles as you practiced. Take care to wash your brush with water every time you change colors and dry it off using paper towels. Allow for your designs to dry before glazing them with the appropriate products.
The type of coating you choose has to be determined by the type of paint you used, e.g., water based varnish works best with acrylic paint while polyurethane works best on ceramic tiles that will be used in places like your floor.
Allow the coating to dry thoroughly before moving on to the next step which would be laying your tiles to your desired design.
Decorating ceramic tiles is both easy and safe to do alone at home. You do not need a lot of materials. Feel free to try out different designs but, take care not to overdo it because you could end up with a room filled with tiles that look confusing and scattered.
Ceramic tiles are a quite popular choice for decorating homes, from kitchen floors to bathroom walls. Tiles are versatile and offer the perfect opportunity to get creative and turn your home into an enviable, elegant space that is sure to catch everyone’s attention. So, try your hand at decorating ceramic tiles!